Cape Town – FAQs
What is Uber Eats?
Uber Eats is our new food delivery platform that makes getting great food from your favorite local restaurants as easy as requesting a ride.
When is Uber Eats available?
Uber Eats is available from 11:00 AM – 12:00 AM, seven days a week.
Where is Uber Eats available?
Uber Eats is currently available throughout most of the Cape Town area. Specific neighborhoods in our coverage zone include Atlantic Seaboard, Camps Bay, CBD, Gardens, Oranjezicht, Woodstock, Vredehoek, Observatory. Pop open the app to see what's available in your area.
How do I start using Uber Eats?
- Download the app and add your delivery address.
- Choose from the full menu of Cape Town’s best restaurants.
- Place your order and follow along as your meal is prepared and delivered!
How much does Uber Eats cost?
Uber Eats offers different meals at varying prices.
The booking fee for Uber Eats is a flat R10.
Note that prices and offers on the Uber Eats website and in the Uber Eats app may differ from prices and offers in the restaurant.
What is the Booking Fee on Uber Eats?
The Booking Fee on Uber Eats is a charge you pay to Uber on every delivery that helps to cover operational costs.
How do you select restaurants?
We’ve partnered with top restaurants in Cape Town to bring their menus to Uber Eats.
What if I have food allergies or want to change the order?
For most meals that you order through Uber Eats, you’ll be able to add special instructions to let restaurants know about any modifications you may need.
What if I have a problem with my order?
We’re here to help. Once you’ve placed an order, just contact our support team from within the app and we’ll take care of your issue.
Will my delivery partner bring the meal to my door or inside my office?
Your courier will bring your order right to your door. If it's easiest for you to walk outside–that's fine too. You can always meet the courier at the curb. Please provide detailed instructions for your delivery so that your courier is able to find you. If you live in a complex / flat, please let us know which flat number / floor to deliver. You can add delivery instructions to your order before placing it.
Do I need to tip my delivery partner?
Tips aren't included and they aren't expected or required. You can always rate your experience after you order–just like you rate an Uber ride.
What is the Uber Eats tipping policy?
- You are free to tip and delivery partners are free to accept tips at any time.
How do I tip my delivery partner?
- The easiest way to tip your delivery partner is through the app. Once your order has been delivered, you’ll be prompted to rate your delivery partner. Once you provide a rating, you’ll be given the option to add a tip. You are free to tip and drivers are free to accept tips at any time. Giving cash directly to your driver is always an option.
- Where available, you may also tip through the app, on riders.uber.com, and from your emailed order receipt.
Why can’t I see an option to add a tip?
- In-app tipping is currently only available in some locations. You may need to update your app to ensure you have the latest version. Additionally, some delivery partners may opt to not accept tips via the app. You can always tip your delivery partner in cash if you would like.
When can I tip my delivery partner?
- You can tip your delivery partner once your delivery is complete. Tips are not required. After an order has been delivered, you have 7 days to add a tip in the app.
How can I tip for past orders?
- After an order is completed, you have 7 days to add a tip in the app, on riders.uber.com, or from your emailed order receipt.
How much of my tip goes to the delivery partner vs. Uber?
- 100%; Uber Eats takes zero fees on tips.
Can I tip my delivery partner but not give them a rating?
- Before you can provide a tip in the app, you will first need to rate your delivery partner. If you tip directly from the order receipt, you will not be prompted to rate the order.
Can I use credits or a gift card to tip a driver?
- Credits and gift cards will all work for tips. However, promotions cannot be used to tip your driver.
- If you have more questions about tips, please contact help.
How do promo codes and credits work?
Uber offers special promotions to provide discounts on food to Eaters. If you have added multiple promo codes to your account, you'll be unable to select your preferred promo code from your account. Instead, your most recently added promo code will be applied to your current or next order. For example, if you added a valid code on Tuesday and another code on Wednesday, your next order will use the code you added on Wednesday. A promo code's value will only apply to one order. Any remaining amount disappears.
ADD A PROMO CODE TO YOUR ORDER
To apply a specific promo code to an order, enter the code at the bottom of the checkout screen. This promo code cannot have already been added to your account. Note that promos added after your order cannot be retroactively applied.
ADD A PROMO CODE TO YOUR ACCOUNT
- Tap the profile icon at the bottom of the main screen.
- Tap "Promotions"
- Tap "Enter Promo Code"
- Enter the code and tap "Apply"
VIEW ACTIVE, REDEEMED, AND EXPIRED PROMO CODES ON YOUR ACCOUNT
- Tap the profile icon at the bottom of the main screen.
- Tap "Promotions"
Uber credits can be applied to any order. To use them, all you need to do is tap "CREDITS" next to your account's payment method at check out. This will bring up your payments profile, where you can use the toggle to apply Uber credits to future orders. To check your credits balance, tap the profile icon at the bottom of the main screen and tap "Payment" to see your credit balance.
You can also share your personal invite code with friends to earn credits. Select profile icon at the bottom of the main screen. Then tap "Free Food" from the menu to view your invite code. When a friend orders their first meal with Uber Eats, your account will receive Uber credits. The amount of Uber credits for a referral will vary by city.
Where do I find my personal Uber Eats promo code?
You can find your Uber Eats promo code by opening the Uber Eats app, tapping on the profile icon at the bottom right, and then tapping on "free food."
How do I share my code and get the discount?
You can use the share buttons on the "free food" page, or copy/paste the text onto emails, social media or anywhere else. When a friend makes an order using your code you will receive the discount.
Can I apply the discount to rides in the Uber app?
Sorry, Uber Eats discounts are for Uber Eats orders only.
Does the discount apply in other cities?
The discount is valid in Uber Eats cities that have the same currency. If you travel to a country with a different currency, the discount will not apply.
What do I do if I was double charged?
If you believe you have been charged for a cancelled order or have been charged twice for the same order, it is most likely an authorization hold.
For security reasons, we may occasionally verify that your payment method is valid. When you request an order, Uber places a temporary authorization hold on your card and removes it within hours of delivery. This is not a charge and will disappear from your bank statement within a few days.
This process allows us to prevent fraud and ensure that you don't need to add a payment method after each order or trip.
I’m a restaurant and am interested in partnering with Uber Eats. How do I get more information?
Thanks for your interest! We’re always looking to deliver great new dishes. Please start by filling out this form.
Have another question we didn’t answer here? Visit our Help page or tap "Help" in the Uber Eats app.